If you are in a wheelchair, one of your most important issues is receiving the best healthcare possible. What are the best hospitals for wheelchair users in the USA?
US News and World Report has ranked hospitals for a variety of specialities including rehabilitation. In the case of rehabilitation 200 physicians were randomly selected and asked to list five hospitals they consider to be the best in their specialty for complex or difficult cases.
So, what were the top ten hospitals for wheelchair users according to rehabilitation physicians selected by US News and World Report?
1. Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago, Chicago Ill
2. Kessler Institute for Rehabilitation, West Orange, NJ
3. University of Washington Medical Center, Seattle, WA
4. Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital, Boston, MA
5. TIRR Memorial Hermann, Houston, TX
6. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN
7. Craig Hospital, Englewood, CO
8. Rusk Institute, NYU Langone Medical Center, New York, NY
9. Shepherd Center, Atlanta, GA
10. Moss Rehab, Elkins Park, PA
Interestingly, no Rehabilitation Center from California placed in the top 10 best rehabilition centers and only two from the Western USA are among the top 20 best rehabilition hospitals. University of Washington Medical Center ranked in 3rd place and Rancho Los Amigos National Rehabilitation Center of California, came in 17th place. Seems like if you are a wheelchair user, the best place for health care is in the Eastern USA. Also interestingly, Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago has been selected as the top Rehabilitation Hospital for 20 consecutive years. That is quite a record.
See the complete list of top hospitals for wheelchair users as selected by US News and World Report.